
Wherever you go as a rich westerner, you are the target of scams and schemes. If you wonder if you qualify as a "rich westerner", if you can afford a ticket to Thailand, you qualify. I got myself involved in quite an elaborate one by taking a tuk tuk to visit a buddhist temple.
First, a guy on the street told me that the temple was closed that day due to a buddhist religious holiday. I had heard that there is a holiday coming up from other sources, so this didn't surprise me, and it was Sunday anyway, and a lot of things were closed (I didn't know Sunday was a Buddhist holy day too... maybe it isn't.) He suggested I visit the "lucky Buddha" temple instead. Travel Tip: If anyone says the words "lucky Buddha" to you in any context, just leave. There's even a sign at the grand palace that tells people to avoid the "lucky buddha" scam, which I thought had something to do with selling souvenirs.
First, a guy on the street told me that the temple was closed that day due to a buddhist religious holiday. I had heard that there is a holiday coming up from other sources, so this didn't surprise me, and it was Sunday anyway, and a lot of things were closed (I didn't know Sunday was a Buddhist holy day too... maybe it isn't.) He suggested I visit the "lucky Buddha" temple instead. Travel Tip: If anyone says the words "lucky Buddha" to you in any context, just leave. There's even a sign at the grand palace that tells people to avoid the "lucky buddha" scam, which I thought had something to do with selling souvenirs.
No comments:
Post a Comment